What's Trending in Social Media?
Earlier this month, YouTube launched a rival version of Vine and Instagram called MixBit. Not only are these video sites on the rise, but visual based platforms such as Pinterest and Snapchat are also continuing to grow: "words tell, but images sell."
- Social TV – Watching a TV program and utilizing a social networking site to talk about what they are watching with their friends or followers. (Ex: Twitter, Facebook)
- Multi-Channel Information Consumption – Watching or accessing multiple devices at the same time; relative to Social TV. (Ex: Watching TV while on your smartphone)
- Transmedia Storytelling – Telling a story across multiple platforms that use different forms of content. (Ex: Blogs, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Prezi)
- Big Data – A tool for marketers that includes the collection of sales, customer information, online accounts, and trends to form patterns and segments of the market to utilize.
- Augmented Reality – A live or direct view of a real-world environment whose elements are computer-generated; led by the development of Google Glass.
- Quora - Users position themselves on the site as experts on various topics, from the serious to the mundane. The site collects questions and answers to various topics and lets its users collaborate on those questions and answers.
- Topsy – Often referred to as “the Google of social media,” this site serves as a social media search engine.
- Brook - Filter through the best tweets from your Twitter feed based on the category you select.
- Mention – Allows the user to provide keywords and track those keywords across multiple social media platform.
- Buffer – Provides a simple way to post on multiple social media sites throughout the day at specified times.