State Broadband Initiative Awards 26 Technology Grants
Twenty-six Community Anchor Institutions (CAI) across the state will receive funding from the South Dakota Broadband Initiative (SDBI) for a wide variety of technology improvements and expansions to continue improving their computer infrastructure. The funding is part of the federal Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunication and Information Administration’s (NTIA) State Broadband Initiative (SBI).
In July, the SDBI first awarded technology grants to 15 CAIs for projects exceeding $112,000 in total. Today, 26 CAIs are receiving awards for projects totaling over $205,000.
A list of the institutions awarded grants is provided below. Included for each CAI is the total cost of the proposed project which reflects a required 20 percent matching investment through cash, in-kind or both.
- Active Generations, Sioux Falls ($12,203.75)
- Brookings Public Library, Brookings ($6,340.01)
- City of Huron, Huron ($6,273.15)
- City of Lennox, Lennox ($9,007.50)
- City of Madison, Madison ($8,416.75)
- City of Whitewood, Whitewood ($9,627.26)
- Community Memorial Hospital, Redfield ($12,473.88)
- Dakota Club Library, Eagle Butte ($6,593.43)
- Dorothee Pike Memorial Library, Lake Preston ($1,900.01)
- Gregory Public Library, Gregory ($6,088.51)
- Hanson School District, Alexandria ($12,175.06)
- Hill City Public Library, Hill City ($6,676.66)
- Hitchcock-Tulare School District, Hitchcock-Tulare ($9,966.40)
- Hot Springs Public Library, Hot Springs ($3,573.00)
- Huron Police Department, Huron ($5,171.00)
- ICAP, Sioux Falls ($12,285.00)
- Immaculate Conception School, Watertown ($9,529.00)
- Madison Central School District, Madison ($10,384.76)
- McCook Central Community, Salem ($9,877.33)
- NewTec, Aberdeen ($8,575.00)
- Rapid City Public Libraries, Rapid City ($1,810.00)
- Sioux YMCA, Dupree ($9,239.91)
- The Bridge Wesleyan Church, Pierre ($6,500.00)
- Vermillion Public Library, Vermillion ($12,258.06)
- Wall Community Library, Wall ($3,441.31)
- Whitewood Public Library, Whitewood ($4,733.04)
- Firewalls (a form of cyber security) to protect computers against malware, spyware, viruses and other threatening content.
- Network switches to ensure uptime and stability as well as increase network speeds and performance.
- Wireless equipment for mobile connectivity and increased performance.
or additional laptops and desktops to provide access to broadband